What is Sudhir Ruparelia Net worth?
|Sudhir Ruparelia Net Worth:||$1.2 billion|
|Born:||January 17, 1956|
|Country of Origin:||Uganda|
|Source of Wealth:||Business and investments|
|Education:||Kololo Senior Secondary School|
Sudhir Ruparelia is a business tycoon and investor from Uganda and Indian descent. He is also the founder of Ruparelia Group of Companies.
He has investments in various sectors of the Ugandan economy such as Insurance, real estate, banking, broadcasting, hotels, and resorts, as well as floriculture.
Although, he is one of the top 10 richest men in Uganda, Forbes, in 2019 named Sudhir Ruparelia as the wealthiest person in Uganda with a net worth estimated to be $1.2 billion.
As a result of the decline in the capital of his subsidiary company Crane Bank, the Bank of Uganda had to take control of the bank and all its operations.
In this article, I will intimate you of everything you need to know about Sudhir Ruparelia starting from his background to his career and achievements so far.
Sudhir Ruparelia Net worth and Highlights
As of 2021, Forbes estimates the net worth of Sudhir Ruparelia to be $1.2 billion.
That being said, let’s take a look at the best highlights of Sudhir Ruparelia’s career.
- Sudhir Ruparelia was awarded the Honorary Doctorate of Laws by Uganda Pentecostal University, On 25th, Oct, 2013.
- In 2018, he received East Africa Business award.
- He was voted for his inspiration in Business Leadership for many people in the East African region.
- Dr. Sudhir Ruparelia was ranked as the 27th wealthiest individual in Africa
- For his contribution to progress of Uganda economy, Sudhir Ruparelia was awarded the Golden Jubilee Presidential Medal by the president of Uganda, His Excellency President Yoweri Museveni on 9th, Oct, 2013.
- In 2007, Ruparelia was awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws degree in business, by the Uganda Pentecostal University, in recognition of his contribution to Uganda’s economic growth.
Sudhir Ruparelia Biography
Sudhir Ruparelia or Dr. Sudhir Ruparelia was born on January 17,1956 in Kabatoro, Kasese, Uganda.
He first attended Bat Valley Primary school in Kampala where he progressed from P1 to P6 before moving to Main Street Primary School in Jinia to complete his primary education.
He attended Kololo Senior Secondary School in 1971 before moving to the UK with his parents at the age of 16.
The relocation of Sudhir Ruparelia’s parents to the UK in search of greener pastures was due to the expulsion of Asians from Uganda under the reign of the ruling dictator Idi Amin Dada.
Noteworthy is the fact that Sudhir Ruparelia is the third (3rd) generation of the Gujarit family born in Uganda after his great grandfather emigrated to Uganda in 1903 from Mombasa, Kenya.
While in the UK, Sudhir Ruparelia had to engage in multiple jobs, he worked in factories, butcheries, supermarkets so as to support himself through college.
From those odd jobs he engaged in, Sudhir Ruparelia was able to save up to $25,000 which he returned home to Uganda with, in 1985.
Being a business-minded person, Sudhir Ruparelia used his savings to start up his own business. He began to sell beer and spirits that were imported from Kenya.
However, his beer and spirit importation business was brought to an abrupt end, following the ban that was placed on the importation of beer in order to encourage local production of beer.
Sudhir Ruparelia was more determined than ever to thrive in the business world, and so he switched to another line of business which resulted in the creation of Crane Forex Bureau since his customers were foreigners who paid for the goods in foreign currency and it became the first of its kind in Uganda.
From the profits he was making, Sudhir Ruparelia decided to establish other businesses including the Crane Bank in 1995.
He later brought his various businesses under one umbrella which he called “Ruparelia Group”.
Dr. Sudhir Ruparelia is the founder and chairman of the Ruparelia Foundation.
Sudhir Ruparelia got married to his beloved wife Jyotsna in 1977.
Their union is blessed with three children whose names are Meera, Rajiv, Sheena.
Meera who happens to be the eldest got married to her husband Ravi Kotecha in 2014.
For his contribution to the improvement of the economy of Uganda, Sudhir Ruparelia was appointed by the president of Nepal Bidhy Devi Bhandsri, as the Honorary Consul of the Republic of Nepal to Uganda in 2020.
The Ruparelia Group of Companies, commonly known as the Ruparelia Group, is a privately owned group in Uganda with Sudhir Ruparelia being the founder and largest shareholder in each of the companies in the Group.
One of such notable companies under the Ruparelia Group.
Other companies under the Ruparelia Group are:
- Crane Management Services Limited – Kampala
- Dehli Public International School-Naguru, Kampala
- Premier Recruitment Limited – Kampala
- Goldstar Insurance Company Limited – Kampala
- Kampala International School Uganda
- Kabira Country Club – Bukoto, Kampala
- Kampala Parents’ School
- Meera Investments Limited – Kampala
- Kampala Speke Hotel – Kampala
- Munyonyo Commonwealth Resort – Munyonyo
- Rosebud Limited – Entebbe
- Premier Roses Limited – Entebbe
- Sanyu FM 88.2 – Kampala
- Speke Resort and Conference Center – Munyonyo, Kampala
- Speke Apartments Limited – Kampala
- Kampala Tourist Hotel – Kampala
- Victoria University Uganda – Kampala
- Vcon Construction Uganda Limited
- The group owns commercial and real estate interests in Rwanda, South Sudan, the United Kingdom, and the United Arab Emirates.
The Kampala Kingdom is a subsidiary of the Ruparelia Group.
It is a Mall and shopping complex in Kampala, Uganda’s capital city. The mall boasts a 12-floor count of 200 rooms.
It also has an office and retail space that measures up to 22,00p square meters with jaw-dropping parking space that can accommodate more than 450 vehicles.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is the Owner of Kingdom Kampala?
Kingdom Kampala is one of the subsidiary companies under Ruparelia Group which was founded by Sudhir Ruparelia
How old is Sudhir Ruparelia?
Dr. Sudhir Ruparelia is currently 65 years old.
Life Lessons of Sudhir Ruparelia
Don’t ever give up despite all odds
The success story of Sudhir Ruparelia is an inspiration to many in Uganda and East Africa as a whole.
In the course of his journey to success, in his business, Sudhir Ruparelia faced a lot of ups and downs but he refused to give up on his dreams, and today, he is one of the top richest persons in Africa.
Never Lose Focus on achieving your dreams
While schooling in the UK, Sudhir Ruparelia had to work and save money in order for him to use and start up his business in Uganda, and as such he refused to allow the extravagant lifestyle in the UK to affect him and make him lose sight of achieving your dreams.
Sudhir Ruparelia Net Worth (Summary)
It is obvious from what is written in this article that Sudhir Ruparelia struggled to acquire the level of wealth he had.
He is a perfect example anyone can follow because his lifestyle teaches that hard work and dedication have no other replacement.
Feel free to comment your thought in the section below.
Even More Topics: