Freddie Mercury lived a star-studded life, with lots of quotes along the way. Here are 40 of his very best, featuring music, life, and much more.
Mercury was a founding member of the English band Queen and its lead vocalist.
After growing up in Zanzibar, he moved to England, attended college, and worked part-time at Heathrow airport.
His four-octave vocal range was legendary, and the awe-inspiring stage presence of Queen made them the international band they were. Freddie tragically passed away at the age of 45 as a result of Bronchopneumonia caused by AIDS.
He had many notable quotes throughout his life, from music, politics, life, and even quotes about his cat. Here are some of the best.
Freddie Mercury’s Most Famous Quotes
Discover the best Freddie Mercury quotes about life, funny Freddie Mercury quotes, plus quotes about music and art. Modern paintings are like women, according to him.
1. “Jimi Hendrix is very important. He’s my idol. He sort of epitomizes, from his presentation on stage, the whole works of a rock star.”
2. “If I didn’t do this well, I just wouldn’t have anything to do… I can’t cook, and I’d be a terrible housewife.”
3. “This thing called love; it cries like a baby in a cradle all night. It swings, it jives, it shakes all over like a jellyfish. I kinda like it.”
4. “My songs are like Bic razors. For fun, for modern consumption. You listen to it, like it, discard it, then on to the next. Disposable pop.”
5. “You can be anything you want to be; just turn yourself into anything you think that you could ever be.”
6. “In terms of love, you’re not in control, and I hate that feeling. I seem to write a lot of sad songs because I’m a very tragic person. But there’s always an element of humor at the end.”
7. “Led Zeppelin is the greatest. Robert Plant is one of the most original vocalists of our time. As a rock band, they deserve the kind of success they’re getting.”
8. “A lot of my songs are fantasy. I can dream up all kinds of things. That’s the kind of world I live in.”
9. “Excess is part of my nature. Dullness is a disease.”
10. “I don’t talk to everybody, so they don’t really know the real me.”
11. “Can you imagine how terrible it is when you’ve got everything, and you’re still desperately lonely? That is awful beyond words.”
12. “I am loved by thousands, but I feel like the loneliest man in the world.”
13. “Montserrat Caballé is sensational. She has that same kind of emotion as Aretha Franklin. The way she delivers a song is so very natural.”
14. “I was born to love you with every single beat of my heart.”
15. “In the early days, we just wore black onstage. Very bold, my dear. Then we introduced white, for variety, and it simply grew and grew.”
16. “Modern paintings are like women.”
17. “The most important thing is to live a fabulous life. As long as it’s fabulous, I don’t care how long it is.”
18. “We’re a very expensive group; we break a lot of rules.”
Best Freddie Quotes
1. “I like to be surrounded by splendid things.”
2. “Oh, I was not made for heaven. No, I don’t want to go to heaven. Hell is much better. Think of all the interesting people you’re going to meet down there!”
3. “Sometimes I feel so sad, so sad, so bad. But no one is going to stop me now, no one.”
4. “I’m so powerful on stage that I seem to have created a monster.”
5. “If I had to do it all over again? Why not? I would do it a little bit differently.”
6. “I won’t be a rock star. I will be a legend.”
7. “I always knew I was a star, and now the rest of the world seems to agree with me.”
8. “I don’t like the way my teeth protrude. I will have them done, but I just haven’t had the time. Apart from that… I’m perfect.”
9. “The reason we’re successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course.”
10. “I love the fact that I can make people happy in any form.”
11. “If you see it, darling, then it’s there! With every single beat of my heart. Every single day of my life.”
12. “I want to lead a Victorian life, surrounded by exquisite clutter.”
13. “The concept of Queen is to be regal and majestic.”
14. “I am a romantic, but I do put up a barrier around myself, so it is hard for people to get in and to know the real me.”
15. “I think my melodies are superior to my lyrics.”
16. “Does it mean this, does it mean that- that’s all anybody wants to know. I’d say what any decent poet would say if anyone dared ask him to analyze his work: if you see it, darling, then it’s there!”
17. “My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies, Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die. I can fly, my friends.”
18. “We’ve gone overboard on every Queen album. But that’s Queen.’
19. “Money may not buy happiness, but it can damn well give it!”
20. “I’m very emotional; I think I may go mad in several years’ time.”
21. “What will I be doing in twenty years’ time? I’ll be dead, darling! Are you crazy?”
22. “When I’m dead, I want to be remembered as a musician of some worth and substance.”