We bring to you 45 notable Herb Alpert quotes about music and life.
Herb Alpert is one of the greatest musicians the world has ever seen. He is an American trumpeter who led Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass in the 1960s. During the same decade, he co-founded A&M Records with Jerry Moss.
Throughout the decades, Alpert has recorded lots of songs, and today, he has joined the leagues of the richest musicians in the world.
Yes, Herb Alpert net worth is proof of his success as he is known globally.
In addition to his ongoing creative outlets in music, philanthropy, and the arts, Alpert owns the noted Vibrato restaurant/jazz club in Bel-Air, California.
He also continues to perform and tour across the country with his wife, Grammy-winning vocalist, Lani Hall, and their band.
Right now, we’ll go ahead to share with you interesting Herb Alpert quotes about music and life.
Herb Alpert Quotes About Music & Life
1. “I was taken in by the bravado and the sounds of Mexico… not so much the music, but the spirit.” – Herb Alpert
2. “Clifford Brown was in the jazz circles considered to be probably the greatest trumpet player who ever lived.” – Herb Alpert
3. “When I finish an album and I find myself listening to it in the car, because it makes me feel a certain way, that’s the time to try to let other people know about it” – Herb Alpert quotes
4. “I don’t think radio is selling records like they used to. They’d hawk the song and hawk the artist and you’d get so excited, you’d stop your car and go into the nearest record store.” – Herb Alpert
5. “We were like a trial for the digital process, and I found that in that particular timeframe, there were too many problems with it.” – Herb Alpert
6. “I’m sure I’ll go back again and record in the digital process.” – Herb Alpert quotes
7. “Is there an audience for it I don’t know. I don’t think it’s the audience who bought it originally. But there’s a younger audience that might appreciate it. These are good songs.” – Herb Alpert
8. “It’s powerful. ‘Whipped Cream’ happened 40 years ago. It still resonates with people.” – Herb Alpert
9. “The trumpet was not a lyrical singing instrument” – Herb Alpert
10. “I haven’t seen this many people since I played bar mitzvahs years ago.” – Herb Alpert quotes
11. “It’s very clean. With tape, you get noise.” – Herb Alpert
12. “I wake up in the morning, I do little stretching exercises, pick up the horn, and play” – Herb Alpert quotes
13. “I confess that I listen to my own music for my own pleasure.” – Herb Alpert
14. “Instrumental music can spread the international language” – Herb Alpert
15. “With tape, you capture the impact, but you bring in some other elements. Sometimes those elements are good and sometimes, they’re not” – Herb Alpert
16. “While you’re sleeping, someone else is practicing,” and “Kindness is contagious. If you can be kind to other people, it’s going to come back to you.” – Herb Alpert quotes
17. “We always felt that if you do something with quality and integrity, then it’s going to come back to you” – Herb Alpert
18. “I practice every day. I’ve been doing it since I was eight” – Herb Alpert
19. “Compose new pieces about things that matter to you” – Herb Alpert
20. “Don’t assume that your audience is limited to a certain demographic, but let your sincerity and spontaneity speak, and perhaps you’ll reach the hearts of many sectors of society” – Herb Alpert
21. “Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain. To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices… today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it.” – Herb Alpert quotes
22. “We always felt that if you do something with quality and integrity, then it’s going to come back to you.” – Herb Alpert
23. “Feel. That’s what it’s about. Anyone who hangs on for any amount of time has that extra dimension. It ain’t what do you do; it’s the way and how you do it.” – Herb Alpert
24. “I think it’s all about timing. I always want to stress that idea, that timing plays a big part in the success of any artist or any business or anything that you can think about doing.” – Herb Alpert quotes
25. “Most people think, you sell a lot of records, and they see you on TV, and they think, ‘Ah, he’s really got it made. He’s really doing everything that I would like to be able to do.’ And it all comes with some baggage. So I worked my way through it, came out the other end, and I’m better for it.” – Herb Alpert
26. “I came to the realization that maybe I was trying too hard to be liked. I didn’t have to go out of my way to do anything unique to be liked.” – Herb Alpert
27. “I appreciate everything that’s happened to me, and I think the negative things that have happened in my life are the things that turned into a positive.” – Herb Alpert
28. “I’m from Los Angeles and I took a music appreciation class when I was eight years old. There was a table filled with instruments and I happened to pick up the trumpet because it fit my hand. I was short and I’m an introvert. Once I started making sounds on the trumpet I felt like it was talking for me. It changed my life.” – Herb Alpert
29. “That’s the experience I had when I was eight and it changed my life. They don’t have to become professionals when they do it, but I think that by being creative like that, they become innovators.” – Herb Alpert quotes
30. “If you start feeling good about what you’re doing, it’ll fold over into your mature life and your adult life. What we need are innovators. This country was built on innovators. We’ve got to spark that feeling in kids. We beat this creative feeling out of them. You go into a grammar school for first grade or second grade, and you ask, ‘Is anybody in here creative?’ Everybody raises their hand. You try that in high school, and you won’t get the same result, because we beat the sh*t out of them when it comes to exercising that option.” – Herb Alpert
31. “I practice every day. I’ve been doing it since I was eight. I wake up in the morning, I do little stretching exercises, pick up the horn, and play. It’s like a habit for me now. I just, if I don’t play, I kind of miss—something’s off.” – Herb Alpert
32. “Selfishly, I make music for me. I like to make music. I like looking for songs. I like working with interesting musicians. I like producing records. It’s something I will always do.” – Herb Alpert quotes
33. “I’m not trying to impress anyone. I’m trying to express myself in a way that makes me feel good. When I feel good about it, that’s good enough.” – Herb Alpert
34. “I’m doing what I like to do. This is what I like to do. I know I’m helping a lot of people” – Herb Alpert
35. “Use instruments that people don’t expect to be used for your kind of music” – Herb Alpert
36. “When doing folk music, keep respect for the source but be yourself with it” – Herb Alpert
37. “Bring folk music techniques and ideas into other genres” – Herb Alpert quotes
38. “Use big and little contrasts — in tempo, key, mood, volume, genre, size of group, instrumentation — within a piece and within a series of pieces”. – Herb Alpert
38. “Look for a sense of drama and experience” – Herb Alpert
39. “Take a quiet ballad and make it rhythmic and exciting; take a fast, happy tune and make it quiet and contemplative” – Herb Alpert
40. “Don’t just play your instrument — play music using your instrument” – Herb Alpert
Summary of Herb Alpert Quotes
Thanks for checking our quick collection of quotes by Herb Alpert. Don’t forget to like and share.