What is Elon Musk net worth today?
|Elon Musk Net Worth:
|Elon Reeve Musk
|June 28, 1971
|Country of Origin:
|University of Pennsylvania
|Source of Wealth:
|Stocks in Tesla and other companies
Elon Musk is one of the most influential individuals whose influence is felt across America.
Not too long ago, he became one of the top 3 richest men in the world with a net worth that seemed almost unimaginable today. Having said that, discussions regarding Elon Musk net worth are inevitable.
Through his numerous businesses which are spread across the manufacturing industry, the cryptocurrency industry, space travel and exploitation, and many more.
Today, Elon Musk is one of the top 10 richest people in USA. Isn’t that interesting?
Elon Musk has been able to seal his footprints in many sectors and some of the biggest companies in the world. This might leave people wondering just how much is Elon Musk net worth, and how he came to earn so much.
Through this article, while giving you a full account of Elon Musk’s worth, we will also have a look at his biography, career, and some other interesting facts that will blow your mind.
Elon Musk Net Worth Today
- Net Worth: $194.6 Billion.
Below are some of his greatest achievements and awards:
- 2006 – member of the United States National Academy of Sciences Aeronautics and Space Engineering Board.
- Inc. magazine Entrepreneur of the Year award for 2007
- 2007 Index Design award
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics George Low award for “the most outstanding contribution in the field of space transportation in 2007/2008”.
- National Wildlife Federation 2008 National Conservation Achievement award for Tesla and SolarCity.
- National Space Society’s Von Braun Trophy in 2008/2009,
- Listed as one of Time’s 100 people who most affected the world in 2010.
- Fédération Aéronautique Internationale FAI Gold Space Medal, for designing the first privately developed rocket to reach orbit.
- Named as one of the 75 most influential people of the 21st century by Esquire magazine.
- Recognized as a Living Legend of Aviation in 2010 by the Kitty Hawk Foundation
- 2011, Forbes “America’s 20 Most Powerful CEOs 40 And Under.
- In June 2011, Musk was awarded the US$250,000 Heinlein Prize for Advances in Space Commercialization.
- 2012 Royal Aeronautical Society’s highest award: a Gold Medal.
- 2013 Fortune Businessperson of the year for SpaceX, SolarCity, and Tesla.
- 2014 President’s award for Exploration and Technology of the Explorers Club
- 2014 Edison Achievement Award
- 2015 Yale Honorary Doctorate in Engineering and Technology.
- 2015 IEEE Honorary Membership.
- 2016, Business Insider “Top 10 Business Visionaries Creating Value for the World”
- 2017 Oslo Business for Peace Award.
- 2018 Musk was ranked 25th on Forbes list of The World’s Most Powerful People.
- 2018 Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS)
- Time 100 Most Influential People in the World in 2010, 2013, and 2018.
- 2019 member (fifth class) of the Most Admirable Order of the Direkgunabhorn
- 2019 Starmus Festival’s Stephen Hawking Medal for Science Communication
- Forbes list of the “Most Innovative Leaders of 2019”.
- Top 100 most influential Africans by New African magazine in 2020.
- 2020 Axel Springer Award.
- No.1 on Businessperson Of The Year 2020 List By Fortune Magazine.
- 2021 wealthiest person in the world according to Bloomberg.
- 2021 Musk was ranked #1 on Forbes’ Billionaires List
Elon Musk Biography & Early Life
Elon Reeve Musk was born on June 28, 1971, in Pretoria, South Africa.
His mother, known as Maye Musk (née Haldeman) is a writer, dietitian, and model while his father is Errol Musk who was an electromechanical engineer, pilot, sailor, consultant, and property developer based in South Africa.
Due to his father’s profession at the time, Elon Musk was raised in the African continent.
Musk has siblings which include Kimbal, and Tosca who were born in 1972 and 1974 respectively. Musk traces his ancestry as a Canadian-American through his maternal grandfather, Joshua Haldeman.
He also has British and Dutch ancestry. Due to unfortunate events which led to the divorce of his parents in 1980, Musk had to live out most of his childhood with his father in Pretoria.
This choice was clearly made by Musk after a couple of years when the divorce occurred.
At the early age of 10, Musk’s interest in computing and video games came to life after he purchased a Commodore VIC-20.
His interests led him to learn computer programming with ease and at an amazing pace. Fast forward two to 2 years later, he sold his first code of a game Called Blastar to a PC and Office technology magazine for $500.
Musk would be subjected to bully throughout his entire childhood. It came to the highest point when he was thrown down the stairs by a group of boys.
It was so bad he had to be hospitalized for over a month. He got educated at the Waterkloof House Preparatory School and Bryanston High School before graduating from Pretoria Boys High School.
Related: How much is Alice Walton net worth?
Elon Musk Career
After Musk attended the University of Pretoria for 5 months, he left South Africa for Canada, since that was the easiest way to get into America. While in Canada aged 17, Elon Musk attended Queen’s University.
After a couple of years, he filed for a transfer to the University of Pennsylvania. It was at this institution he gained access to the United States and finally had his tertiary education.
At the conclusion of his education at the University, Elon bagged a bachelor’s degree in both Physics and Economics.
He subsequently moved to California with the mind of attending Stanford University in 1995.
This was not meant to be, as he diverted his attention to building a business career. This move marked the start of Elon Musk net worth.
While at California, Elon Musk and his brother decided to startup a software company called Zip2.
The worth of the company rapidly grew over time, after the excellent input of both co-founders. Four years later, the company would be sold to Compaq for a whopping $307 million.
This is a profitable deal of unimaginable scale, as the company was only created from scratch without much investment. Elon Musk net worth at sales rose in a miraculous manner.
After his first successful business, Elon moved to co-found another business which was the first online bank within the same year.
The bank was named X.com and subsequently merged with another company called Confinity to form what we know today as PayPal. PayPal was successfully created in early 2000.
After successful operations for a couple of years, PayPal was eventually bought by a popular online store, eBay, for a whopping $1.5 Billion.
The company was sold in 2002. This was a massive success for Elon. The direct consequence of these successes were obviously Elon Musk net worth.
Within the same year, Elon Musk moved to create another business enterprise known as SpaceX. This company is an aerospace manufacturer and space transport services.
2 years after the company’s creation, the company was merged with Tesla Motors which was a vehicle manufacturing company. He initially served as the company’s Chairman and product architect, but eventually took the position of CEO in 2008.
Before becoming CEO of SpaceX and Tesla Inc., he was the co-founder of SolarCity whose services were based on producing solar energy. The company was later renamed Tesla Energy.
He also created the non-profit research company known as OpenAI which operates on creating human and nature-friendly AI.
In 2016, Musk created another company known as Neuralink whose operations are to create computer systems that work alongside the human brain. The Boring company is part of his business portfolio. This is a tunnel construction company.
Each of these companies has brought significant profit to Elon Musk net worth. Over the years of his business career; though there were so many highs, there were lows for him as well.
He has been through series of lawsuits, some of which he won, and lost. He has also received criticism for some of his views on the pandemic and so on.
Some of his ideas also were on the wrong end of criticism, especially the fact that he was promoting the agenda of colonizing Mars.
Today, Elon Musk Net worth is valued at a mind-blowing $194.6 billion.
Related: Larry Page net worth and biography
How Elon Musk Spends His Money
As one of the richest men in the world, Elon Musk net worth means he could afford anything any other person on earth could afford.
His riches are just so mind-blowing that many video makers have been trying to make people understand just how much Elon Musk net worth is, using grains of rice.
While most of Elon Musk net worth is focused on his series of companies across the globe, he still delights in having luxury materials.
Most especially, he loves cars. He’s got models from the old generation, as well as the new. His collection of cars includes the following:
- 1978 BMW 320i.m
- 1997 McLaren F1
- 1976 Lotus Esprit “Wet Nellie”
- 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo.
- 2006 Hamann BMW M5.
- 1920 Ford Model T
- 1967 Jaguar E-Type
- 2008 Tesla Roadster
News recently broke out about the shocking house in which Elon Musk lives.
Apparently, Elon Musk net worth is not enough to make him go for an apartment or mansion that is extremely expensive like most other rich individuals across the world do.
Quite shockingly, you will find out that Elon Musk only lives in a tiny apartment that cost him only $50,000 to acquire. For many, like me, that is mind-blowing.
In one of our favorite Elon Musk quotes, he once said; “When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.” Yes, his ideologies about getting things done are worthy of emulation.
- Having a mentor in your chosen field is fundamental in helping your career move to the next level easily.
- To earn loads money, you need to have unique ideas that work.
- Making mistakes is part of the journey to perfection. You have to learn from mistakes and then channel the knowledge to improve on what you do.
Summary of Elon Musk Net Worth
From this article, it is easy for one to deduce that Elon Musk is a genius who has talents, abilities, and brains in business, economics, and engineering.
He’s put all his abilities together to create immense riches and power for himself. He’s one of the most powerful individuals on the planet as we know it.
As a business mogul and innovator, there are so many lessons to learn from Elon. Taking a look at how far he’s come, at such a young age is outstanding.
As big as Elon Musk net worth might seem today, I wouldn’t be surprised if he had double in a few years to come. Such is the talent this man possesses.
Even More Topics: