Roulette is one of the world’s most ancient casino games and remains a favorite game to play to this day. It is always thrilling to behold the spinning wheels as you anticipate the outcome of a bet, and this alone makes roulette a relatively more enjoyable game compared to other casino games
Furthermore, roulette is also one of the most demanded games in the iGaming industry. The game has a large fan base of dedicated players which has prompted developers to churn out more interesting versions to keep fans entertained.
The game, unlike other casino games, depends majorly on luck rather than skill. However, there are some basic tips you could implement to increase your chances of winning at roulette.
Although these tips will not guarantee wins, the odds of you walking to the bank with a huge smile on your face is much higher when you apply them to your game.
As a beginner, it’s easy to get carried away by the popularity and fuss surrounding roulette, but don’t get swayed. Roulette isn’t a difficult game to play; you simply just need to know the rules and abide by them. In this article, we’ve got all the basic information you need to take your game to the next level.
Are you new to the roulette world? Then there are a few things you must consider before placing your first bet. Here are some basic tips you need to know:
- European and French roulette have the best odds than American roulette which means you’re more likely to win when you play them. If you’re looking for the better option in terms of winning chances, opt for either of these two.
- In roulette, outside bets are more favorable. Ditch the inside bets.
- You’re more likely to win big with combination bets. Try to experiment with it.
- Most online roulette games have a demo mode to help you to understand the game. Casinos allow you to play demo games for free therefore it’s good you try them before placing real money bets.
- Before you start wagering, make sure you’ve studied the table and mastered the rules to a considerable degree.
- You’ll see number prompts but don’t pay attention to these.
- Don’t rely too much on betting strategies. As much as strategies are a thing, they can never guarantee you 100% wins.
- It’s safer to start with smaller bets. This helps you to play more games for longer periods and keeps your pocket safe.
- Have a budget and don’t place more bets than you can afford to lose.
- Roulette can be intriguing but it can also be addicting. Try as much as possible to take breaks regularly.
- Not all online casinos are legit. There are many fake casinos on the internet today therefore be sure to verify the casino’s credibility before placing real money bets.
- Check if the casino is licensed and regulated by a reputable licensing company. Preferably, choose trustworthy and well-known online casinos with a proven track record of payouts and excellent customer service.
There are three variants of roulette you’ll find predominantly at land-based or online casinos; European roulette, American roulette, and French roulette.
However, online casinos have many more versions of roulette that players can choose from. Some of the most popular ones include the live dealer slingshot roulette developed by Evolution, Age of the Gods, Double ball roulette, German roulette, English roulette, pinball roulette, Mini roulette, Multi-wheel roulette, etc.
The three dominant versions have a couple of features that distinguish them but the rules of the game are the same. It means that if you learn American roulette, for example, you can easily navigate through the other two versions.
Here’s a look at the three dominant roulette versions.
The basic differential feature in the American roulette is the presence of a double zero (00) and single zero (0) on the wheel. The double zero (00) is responsible for reducing a player’s winning chances, and as we said earlier, American roulette has much lower odds compared to the other two variants. Also, the house edge on this variant sits at 5.26% which is much higher.
If the player places even-money outside bets and the ball lands on either the double or single zeros, the player loses. If you’re just learning to play roulette, avoid the American version at all costs as you’ll find yourself on the losing side more often than not.
This is the most played version of roulette both in land-based and online casinos and it’s not hard to guess why. Players stand a better chance of winning European roulette than the American variant. You’re better off starting your roulette journey with European roulette as a rookie.
The difference between the two variants is their wheels. Unlike the American variant, the European roulette has a single zero (0) and no double zeros (00). To add to this, European roulette has a house edge of around 2.7% which is far lower than American roulette.
The similarity between the two is that you lose even bets when the ball lands on a zero.
The French roulette is similar to the European roulette, only that it has two rules within the game; the en prison and la partage rule. Now, don’t let these two French terminologies fool you into assuming that French roulette is a complicated variant. It isn’t.
On the contrary, the two French roulette rules give you one of the best winning odds you can ever find in any online casino or at a brick-and-mortar. The game has a 1.35% house edge. It also has a single zero (0) feature much like European roulette.
Let’s have a look at these two French terms:
En prison is French for ‘in prison.’ The rule is similar to la partage only that the half stake isn’t returned to the player but is kept for the next bet.
La Partage is French for ‘sharing.’ The rule allows players to win back half of their wager on even money bets if the ball lands on zero.